Did you go to download macOS Mojave but found an incomplete installer application arrived in your /Applications folder? Some Mac users have discovered that when trying to download macOS Mojave from the Mac App Store, they end up with a very small 22 MB mini-installer that is not the full size 6 GB macOS Mojave installer app.
While the regular update or installation for macOS Mojave works just fine from the 22 MB stub installer (the other install files are downloaded later), you can’t use the 22mb incomplete installer to make a bootable macOS Mojave installer flash drive, nor use the mini-installer offline, and also since it’s not the full installer app it makes little sense to copy it to other Macs if you want to install Mojave onto them too.
This article will show you two different methods and tricks for how to download the proper complete macOS Mojave installer application if you ended up with the small 23 MB version of “Install macOS Mojave.app” rather than the full sized one.
Note most Mac users will NOT need to follow these instructions. For the majority of users, simply downloading MacOS Mojave from the Mac App Store directly will get them the full 5.8 GB installer application onto their Mac. Thus this guide is only for users who have found the incomplete 22mb installer app in their /Applications/ folder, and who want the full size version so that they can make a boot USB drive or whatever else. You can use either the dosdude1 application approach, or further below you’ll find how to build your own full macOS Mojave installer manually yourself by using the Terminal. The end result is the same, whichever approach you use.
How to Download the Full MacOS Mojave Installer File
- Go here to dosdude Mojave page and download the patch tool (the download links are labeled as “Direct” and “Mirror” on that page) *
- Launch the Mojave patch app (you may need to bypass the Gatekeeper warning by right-clicking on the app and choosing “Open”)
- Pull down the “Tools” menu and choose “Download macOS Mojave”
- Confirm that you want to download the full 6.5 GB MacOS Mojave installer, then choose a Save destination for it (if you plan on making a USB installer, putting it into the /Applications/ folder is necessary)
- Wait for the entire download to complete, it will be multiple parts that the Dosdude tool builds into the single proper installer
From the Get Info window on the installer file, here’s the mini 20 MB “stub” installer for macOS Mojave that is incomplete:
Also from a Get Info window on the full size installer application downloaded via DosDude tool, here’s the complete XXX GB “Install macOS Mojave.app” installer app:
The latter complete installer file is the only one that contains the createinstallmedia tool to be able to build a macOS Mojave boot disk as discussed here.
* In case you were wondering what this patch is intended for, the Dosdude Mojave patch allows you to install macOS Mojave on unsupported Mac hardware in an unofficial capacity, but that is not what we’re aiming to do here. For our purposes in this particular walkthrough well simply use the patch to download the full installer app. If installing macOS Mojave on an unsupported Mac interests you, you can read more here or on the aforementioned DosDude page.
credit : http://osxdaily.com/2018/09/29/download-full-macos-mojave-installer/